The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is releasing 13 new and updated contract documents today that will assist architects and contractors with protecting their projects and businesses.
“The AIA Documents Committee routinely reviews its legal agreements to ensure they reflect the latest trends and nuances we’re seeing in the industry,” said AIA Contract Documents & Risk Management Managing Director Kenneth Cobleigh, Esq. “By doing so, we ensure the design and construction industries are working under the best agreements possible for their businesses.”
AIA Contract Documents regularly works with architects, contractors, subcontractors and owners to ensure AIA contracts and forms meet industry needs. One of the most notable changes among this set of updated contracts, includes the new Contractor-Subcontractor Master Agreement and its accompanying work order. The new agreement allows a contractor and subcontractor to agree to a predefined set of terms and conditions that will apply to multiple scopes of work. Another significant update is the Joint Venture Agreement for Professional Services, which was revamped to address the significant legal implications associated with joint venture business relationships. Other notable changes include the:
- Master Agreements, which now align with the 2017 core AIA document updates.
- Instructions to Bidders, which now includes designation of Bidding Documents in electronic form or paper copy.
- Architect-Consultant Agreement for Special Services now includes the copyrights, licenses and payment provisions of the prime agreement. Mediation was added as a condition precedent to binding dispute resolution.
The following is a complete list of new and updated forms and agreements being released:
- A121–2018, Standard Form of Master Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where Work is Provided Under Multiple Work Orders
- A221–2018, Work Order for Use with Master Agreement Between Owner and Contractor
- A421–2018, Standard Form of Master Agreement Between Contractor and Subcontractor Where Work is Provided Under Multiple Work Orders
- A422–2018, Work Order for Use with Master Agreement Between Contractor and Subcontractor
- A701–2018, Instructions to Bidders
- B121–2018, Standard Form of Master Agreement Between Owner and Architect for Services Provided Under Multiple Service Orders
- B221–2018, Service Order for Use with Master Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- C101–2018, Joint Venture Agreement for Professional Services
- C402–2018, Standard Form of Agreement Between Architect and Consultant for Special Services
- C421–2018, Standard Form of Master Agreement Between Architect and Consultant for Services Provided Under Multiple Service Orders
- C422–2018, Service Order for Use with Master Agreement Between Architect and Consultant
- G709–2018, Proposal Request
- G711–2018, Architect’s Field Report
The new and revised 2018 documents are currently available online with an unlimited access license or as a single, customizable document. AIA contract documents are also available as single, non-editable documents and as paper versions through some AIA Chapters. Visit AIA Contract Documents’ website for more information.