Eighteen steel bridges have earned national recognition in the 2012 Prize Bridge Awards Competition. Conducted by the National Steel Bridge Alliance (NSBA), the program honors outstanding and innovative steel bridges constructed in the U.S. This year’s winning bridges were recognized on April 18 during the combined 2012 World Steel Bridge Symposium (WSBS) and NASCC: The Steel Conference in Dallas.
The awards were presented to winners in a variety of categories including: major span; long span; medium span; short span; movable span; reconstructed; special purpose; accelerated bridge construction; and sustainability.
This year’s Prize Bridge Award winners are:
- Major Span: Main Street Bridge, Columbus, Ohio
- Long Span: Nooksack River Bridge, Whatcom County, Wash.
- Short Span: South Layton Interchange SPUI at I-15 and Layton Parkway, Layton, Utah
- Movable Span: BSNF Railway Burlington Bridge, Burlington, Iowa
- Reconstructed: I-93 FAST 14 – Salem Street Interchange, Medford, Mass.
- Special Purpose: Tempe Town Lake Pedestrian Bridge, Tempe, Ariz.
This year’s Merit Award winners are:
- Major Span: kdICON Project – Christopher S. Bond Bridge, Kansas City, Mo.
- Major Span: John James Audubon Bridge, St. Francisville, La.
- Long Span: Estero Parkway, Estero, Fla.
- Medium Span: S.R. 0113, Section 08B, Gay Street Bridge Replacement Project, Phoenixville, Pa.
- Short Span: Lynch Village Bridge, Lynch Village, Penn.
- Reconstructed: Bridge of Lions Historic Rehabilitation, St. Augustine, Fla.
- Special Purpose: Hillhouse Pedestrian Bridges, New Haven, Conn.
- Special Purpose: Pedestrian Bridge at the Yards Waterfront Park, Washington, D.C.
The following projects received Accelerated Bridge Construction Commendations:
- San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge – East Tie-In Structure, San Francisco
- Sam White Bridge, American Fork, Utah
- I-93 FAST 14 – Salem Street Interchange, Medford, Mass.
The following project received a Sustainability Commendation:
- Silverdale Bridge, Stillwater, Minn.