The Metal Building Manufacturers Association (MBMA) has released its 2017 Annual Report, entitled Accelerating the Building Process. This resource highlights the work that MBMA and its members have undertaken over the past year. The report provides valuable information for anyone who works with metal building systems, has an interest in metal buildings or is involved in the low-rise commercial building market. It is available for free download at www.mbma.com/Annual_Reports.asp.
“2017 has been a very good year for the association and our members,” says Dave Koubek, incoming MBMA chairman. “We’ve not only grown our numbers, but have made great strides in a number of areas, including seismic research, acoustical data collection, sustainability, technical research and testing, fire resistance and workplace safety. The results indicate that MBMA is at the forefront of our industry, and with the continued hard work and dedication of our people and companies we should remain there well into the future.”
“Since 1956, MBMA has been leading the way in the metal building systems industry,” adds Dan Walker, associate general manager of MBMA. “This annual report showcases the leadership, dedication and technical expertise for which the association and its members are known throughout the industry.”
The 2017Annual Report details a number of recent accomplishments made by MBMA, including:
- Working with the Metal Building Contractors & Erectors Association (MBCEA) to promote its accreditation program for metal building erectors (AC478)
- Expanding the architecture and engineering college capstone course for metal building design
- Producing new technical manuals, including the Contractors Energy Guide for Metal Building Systems and Guide for Inspecting Metal Building Systems
- Developing and testing acoustical performance data for common metal building assemblies for use by designers
- Emphasizing safety in the workplace with training programs and educational resources
- Continuing research on seismic behavior and wind loads for metal buildings
- Providing industry-wide Environmental Product Declarations and Life Cycle Inventory data for metal building systems
“The research and technical leadership that our association provides to the metal building systems industry is extremely important to the industry’s growth,” continues Walker. “As the industry grows, MBMA and its members will continue to work with other experts and organizations to improve the safety, quality and durability of low-rise construction for future generations.”
MBMA’s membership, which includes 43 building systems members and 71 suppliers, is actively growing, and currently represents nearly 30,000 building projects annually, accounting for a substantial share of the total low-rise construction market in the United States.
Working with major universities and engineering schools, as well as with code officials and other organizations, MBMA provides engineering leadership throughout North America. This research is used to improve the performance, efficiency and quality of metal building systems and the entire building industry.