The Metal Construction Association (MCA) announced its Chairman’s Award winners for 2019. The judging panel of architects included:
- James Theimer, principal architect, Trilogy Architecture, Redding, Calif.
- Mark Roddy, lecturer in the Department of Design, California State University, Sacramento
- Erik Mehlman, partner and design lead at BuildSense, Durham, N.C.
The Chairman’s Awards go to exceptional buildings involving MCA member companies. The criteria include overall appearance, significance of metal in the project, innovative use of metal and the role of metal in achieving project objectives. Winners in six categories were selected.
Overall Excellence and Commercial/Industrial: Great Northern Way Pavilion, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Building owner: Low Tide Properties, Vancouver, and PCI Developments Corp., Vancouver
- Architect: Perkins+Will, Vancouver
- General contractor: Ledcore Group, Vancouver
- Metal fabricator/installer: Keith Panel Systems Co. Ltd., North Vancouver, British Columbia
- MCA member panel manufacturer: 3A Composites USA Inc., Davidson, N.C.
Education – Colleges and Universities: Engineering and Computer Science West, University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, Texas
- Architect: SmithGroup, Dallas
- General contractor: The Beck Group, Dallas
- Metal panel fabricator/installer: Kovach Building Enclosures, Chandler, Ariz.
- Perforated metal ceiling panels: Ceilings Plus, USG Corp., Chicago
- Metal bar gratings: Ohio Gratings Inc., Canton, Ohio
- Metal wall panels: Kovach Building Enclosures
- MCA member panel manufacturer: Petersen Aluminum Corp., Elk Grove Village, Ill.
Institutional: Menil Drawing Institute, Houston
- Architect: Johnston Marklee, Los Angeles
- General contractor: Gilbane Building Co., Providence, R.I.
- Aluminum roof panel supplier/structural steel supplier/fabricator/installer: United Structures of
- America Inc., Houston
- Metal roof panels: Overly Manufacturing Co., Greensburg, Pa.
- Paint: Tnemec Co., Compton, Calif.
- Skylights: Super Sky Products Enterprises LLC, Mequon, Wis.
- MCA coil coating manufacturer: PPG Industries Inc., Pittsburgh
Municipal: Calgary Public Library, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Building owner: Calgary Public Library
- Design architect: Snøhetta, New York City
- Architect of record: DIALOG, Calgary
- General contractor: Stuart Olson, Calgary
- Metal wall panel installer: Ferguson Corp., Calgary
- Aluminum extrusions: APEL Extrusions Ltd., Calgary
- Aluminum extrusions: Hydro Extrusion North America, Portland, Ore.
- MCA extrusion coating manufacturer: PPG Industries Inc., Pittsburgh
- Metal wall panels: Mitsubishi Chemical Composites America Inc., Chesapeake, Va.
Roofing: Steeple Square, Dubuque, Iowa
- Building owner: Steeple Square
- Architect: Jeffrey Morton Associates, Dubuque
- Construction manager: Gronen Restoration, Dubuque
- Sheet metal contractor: The Durable Restoration Co., Columbus, Ohio
- Copper suppliers: Aurubis AG, Hamburg, Germany; Corken Steel Products Co., Covington, Ky.; and Hussey Copper, Leetsdale, Pa.
- MCA Member fabricator: Chicago Metal Supply and Fabrication Inc., Chicago
Residential: Keller Court Commons, Petaluma, Calif.
- Land developer: Soules Co., Petaluma
- Architect: MAD Architecture, Petaluma
- General contractor/metal panel installer: Jacobs Classic Construction, Petaluma
- Metal roof installer: Crandall Roofing, Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Solar panel installer: Suntegrity Solar, Santa Rosa
- Solar panels: Enphase Energy Inc., Petaluma
- MCA member accessory supplier, roof clamps: S-5!, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- MCA member metal roof/wall panel manufacturer: Metal Sales Manufacturing, Louisville, Ky.
Award recipients were chosen from projects submitted by MCA members to Metal Architecture magazine’s annual Design Awards program.